Sunday, June 27, 2010

Best.Ever.Chocolate.Chip.Cookies



Let me tell you about the best ever chocolate chip cookies.  These aren't the chocolate chip cookies of my childhood- no, they are better. These are the one thing I can make very well and am happy to say I am not an amateur at. These are a staple for holidays and special occasions and just because sometimes you need a chocolate chip cookie. They are just that good. And I think this last time is the best I have ever made them. 

How did I stumble upon this great cookie recipe? I didn't invent it. No, instead a couple of years ago, I was looking for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. And a friend so happened to tell me about this site, All Recipes.  A place where people can submit their own recipes, rate other recipes and search these recipes for whatever it is someone might be dreaming up of making. So I simply searched 'best chocolate chip cookie recipe' and found this recipe. And the rest was history.


Gone were the cake-like chocolate chip cookies I had made all my life and that were a part of my childhood. (I never did understand why my chocolate chip cookies always turned out like cake-like cookies.) Perhaps it's because my mom and I usually just relied on whatever chocolate chip cookie recipe was on the back of the bag of chocolate chips we bought. They were never bad, but they were never a true chocolate chip cookie.


In this latest attempt to make this great cookie, I took it up one notch. I bought a block of Scharffen Berger chocolate (70% cacao & bittersweet) to mix along with my Trader Joe chocolate chips that I had previously purchased. Their chocolate was a bit pricey at $10, but I was feeling adventurous. I chopped up 2 blocks into really thin shavings so they were more like chocolate sprinkles/nuggets mixed in with my chocolate chips. I'll be honest, I think these are my best looking chocolate chip cookies because of that step. Plus, this is the first time I used industrial baking pans w/ parchment lining(which are actually cheap- who knew!) and I'm proud to say not a single cookie was burned. 


So I know it's summer and it's probably hot out there, but go on, make these cookies now. They are literally, the best ever chocolate chip cookie you'll ever have.


Recipe adapted from All Recipes.


I omit the nuts, and use 3/4ths a bag of semisweet chocolate chips and add in 4 ounces of baker's bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped.




Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons hot water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

  • Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. (Is this what makes the cookie cookie like and not cakey? I'm so far convinced it is.) Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour and chocolate chips. Use the 1 tbsp measuring spoon and drop onto baking sheets.
3. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.
4. Eat them all and if you're feeling nice, share!

No comments:

Post a Comment