I think I bought Julia Child's cookbook last year and have only made a few recipes out of it. One of the most easiest and tastiest recipes is for potato soup. This isn't your super creamy rich potato soup, but more simple, yet satisfyingly delicious potato soup.
Recipe adapted from Julia Child's cook book
3 cups leeks thinly sliced
3-4 cups russet potatoes, chopped
3/4 tbsp salt
1 tbsp butter
2 quarts water
3 tbsp half and half
1. Heat up water on the stove while you chop and slice the leeks and potatoes
2. Add leeks, potatoes, salt to water and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 40-50 mins.
4. Once soup is done, use a hand mixer and mix the soup on low to break up the vegetables.
( if you have a hand blender, it's even better.)
6. Add butter and half and half and stir until incorporated.
PS- try it with some left over holiday ham sliced up- it makes a great soup for cold winter days!