Monday, August 2, 2010

Roasted Chicken


Week night cooking for me is peaks and valleys. Sometimes I'm really good about cooking dinner for Jason and I, and a dinner is prepared at home almost every night for a week. Then there are other times when I am forced to work late at work, or the dishes are dirty and need to be washed before making dinner or I am just lazy and in those weeks we eat out.


I was actually inspired by my former colleague and friend's blog Robyn's Hobbies with her recent post for chicken 4 ways. She boiled some chicken to make several dishes. I thought I might do the same, except as my blog is an ode to baking, I thought I might roast some chicken instead.

I've only roasted a whole chicken a few times, it's not hard, but it's time consuming and not something I have the time to do on weeknights. However, roasting piece of chickens is actually quite quick and delicious.

Case in point, I bought about a pound or so of chicken breast, still on the bone & with the skin and roasted it in a cast iron pot. It was super easy and simple and the left over chicken will be used to make a nice chicken salad.

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts on the bone, with skin
2 cloves garlic
olive oil
season salt
pepper
1/2 white onion

Instructions
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
Finely chop garlic and onion
Heat cast iron pot over stove, over medium heat
Add olive oil
When oil is heated up, add garlic and onion and saute for a few minutes
Add chicken breasts, skin side down
Cook for 5 minutes on each side to brown the skin
Remove cast iron pot from stove and into oven
Roast for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and nice and brown
Enjoy!

Use the leftover for chicken salad, enchiliadas, tacos, etc. etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment