Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Coffee Ice Cream



This post made me want to make ice cream again. It also reminded me that I bought about a quart of heavy whipping cream back at the end of December, because I was really keen on trying to make black forest cake for Christmas dessert, but it didn't pan out since I was all baked out by time it rolled around to make the cake (I had, perhaps, made too make cookies).  Heavy whipping cream is probably the most critical ingredient to making ice cream, so I thought- why not, let's do this.


Coffee ice cream sounded just right- a little bit of a unique flavor, an ingredient I had on hand... and with the rather warm So Cal weather, a recipe for success.  I scoured the internet for some no egg ice cream recipes, but came up empty handed. I wanted to make an easy ice cream that didn't involve heating the milk or eggs. I actually ended up using the base recipe that came from my Cusinart ice cream maker. I followed the recipe for vanilla ice cream, but instead, added some really strongly brewed coffee. The result? A really creamy delicious coffee ice cream. I swear it doesn't even taste homemade! It tastes professional, I may dare say.

Recipe is adapted from the Cuisinart ice cream booklet

Ingredients
3/4 cup 2% milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 cup heavy cream
3 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup very strongly brewed coffee

Steps
1. Brew coffee anyway you know how to make a really strong cup of joe
2. Add 3/4 cup sugar to coffee and stir until sugar is dissolved completely.
3. Let coffee stand for 15 minutes until cool (or set in fridge to speed up cooling process)
4.  In a bowl, mix heavy cream, milk, coffee/sugar mixture and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
5. Chill in fridge for 2-4 hours.
6. Follow your ice cream makers instructions to make the ice cream.
7. Freeze home made ice cream for another 2 hours to get that ice cream consistency you like. (My mixer made the ice cream on the softer side)
8. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment