Saturday, January 1, 2011

Raisin and Oat Scones- something healthy for you!


Happy New Year!! Hope every one's New Year is starting off well and that you've enjoyed your holidays. I surely wanted to update this blog with Christmas cookie posts, but I didn't get around to it... I was too busy enjoying a full week off of work (didn't take a vacation ALL YEAR)and not hanging around a desk and computer... it just didn't happen. And now I feel like it's a bit too late for Christmas cookies. I'll save them...for next year... ;)


I sure have some New Year goals with this blog. First, I'd like to regularly update this blog, bake and experiment more with baking things I've never baked before and see what happens.  Plus I got a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas (thank you Jason and Mom who each got me one--- sorry I couldn't keep them both!) and I'd like to see what it can do! Perhaps a blog makeover would be fun too... who knows... but for today, the first day of the year, I will stick with baking something good for you!

I'm sure lots of people have plans to eat healthier and better in the New Year, so why not start the year and mornings off right by getting a healthy start with some healthy scones raisin oat scones. I got this recipe from Everyday Food magazine. Made with wheat flour and whole oats, it's a nice way to start your day, and it's a lot less boring than your run of the mill oatmeal.





Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 cup raisins
2 tbsp melted butter
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk (I substituted with 1 cup milk and 2 tbsp lemon juice)

* Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. In a medium bowl, stir together both flours, oats, baking powder, salt and brown sugar.
2. Soak raisins in a cup of water (this will make sure the raisins are moist and chewy in your scones)
3. In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk and melted butter
4. Stir in flour mixture until incorporated (do not over mix)
5. Add in raisins and stir gently.
6. Scoop 1/3 cup mixture onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown

Eat warm with a bit of blackberry jam... yum!

This makes about 7 scones, and according to the magazine, keeps up to 1 day.... I am going to disagree and say they will keep longer. If you want them to last the week, just toss into the freezer and heat up before eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment