Monday, December 28, 2015

Perfect Chewy Sugar Cookies


Happy Holidays! I'm back with a recipe review on what I'd like to think is the perfect sugar cookie.  Many moons ago when I used to be a barista in college, the coffee shop I worked at would get in sugar cookies which I loved. They were rolled in sugar crystals and had a hint of almond. I've been wanting to re-create this cookie since then and I think I've found a pretty good recipe that matches those flavor profiles.

This recipe is perfect because it does not call for any rolling out of the dough and using cookie cutters (takes too long) and the recipe is versatile enough to easily modify the recipe for a variant of the sugar cookie. Plus, I like my sugar cookies to be chewy and crisp and this recipe makes them just so.

I've modified the original recipe here by using real butter and omitting 1/4 cup of it and adding a 1/4 tsp. of almond extract. I also rolled by cookies in sprinkles instead of sugar, because why not?!

Modified Recipe:


  • 2 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 2 eggs, room temp
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • Sprinkles (optional)


Steps:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking soda
  3. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time, then vanilla and almond extract.
  4. Stir in dry ingredients until combined.
  5. Form cookie dough into balls (I used a 1 tbsp spoon) and roll into sprinkles until fully coated. 
  6. Place onto baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches apart to allow dough to spread
  7. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until just the outer edges are slightly browned. 
  8. Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool on wire rack.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment