Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Week Night Dinner- Thai Red Chicken Curry
This one is a cheat- which I would like to think I don't stray away from making things from scratch, especially for this blog, but when I get home around 530-630 I am generally hungry and generally the one who cooks dinner.... so I want to make something quick so I can eat it. It's a dilemma.
But with this semi-homemade dish- you too can have dinner on the table in 15 minutes, and it's delicious.
1 bottle of red thai curry sauce from Trader Joe's
1 can of light coconut milk
1 cup of frozen peas
1 red bell pepper
1/2 pound of chicken breast, cut up into small pieces
1 bag of frozen pre-cooked brown rice... found at your local Trader Joe's
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat skillet and add olive oil
2. When skillet is hot enough, toss in and cook chicken thoroughly
3. Toss in sliced red bell pepper strips and saute for 1-2 mins
4. Reduce stove to low and add in thai curry sauce to the chicken & bell peppers
5. Add about 1/4- 1/2 can of coconut milk
6. Add in frozen peas
7. Stir and simmer on low for 10 minutes
8. In the meantime, microwave your frozen brown rice
9. Serve and enjoy!
Disclaimer- I know, I know.... frozen brown rice?! It was a gamble to try it, but it is actually really good and fast! It's nothing like Uncle Ben's 'Quick Rice' (faux rice). It's just real rice, fast. This couldn't be a quick meal cooking brown rice from scratch- because brown rice takes forever and a day. Sure, it's not as cheap, but the precious minutes saved are worth it... really!