Sunday, July 17, 2011

Saturday Morning Cheese Blintzes


I'm actually not a fan of cheese blintzes, but Jason is and I wanted to make him some for some time. I finally got around to it a couple of weekends ago and thought I could make these suckers as quick as you make pancakes. Turns out cheese blintzes are served warm and are suppose to bake in the oven
, all prior to you making the crepe batter and making the cheese filling. Oops. Then, it also turns out a lot of recipes call for egg to be added into the cheese filling and that is too complicated for me, when all I wanted to do was make some cheese blintzes. But.... as it turns out with a little help from my friend google to find cheese filling recipes without eggs in them and some creativity on my part as I ended up just 'guessing' and not following any one recipe- we ended up with some pretty darn good cheese blintzes. And do you want to know the secret to incredible blueberry cheese blintzes?? Lemon zest. It makes the dish 'sing' if you will.

Crepe Batter Adapted from All Recipes

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil

Instructions
1. Add all ingredients into a blender. Whip until mixture is combined & set in the fridge until ready to use.

Cheese Filling adapted from all over the internet
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/3 cup light whipped cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
Lemon zest

1. Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined. Set aside until ready to add into crepe mixture.

Blueberry Sauce
I cheated- by combining Knott's Blueberry Syrup and fresh blueberries into a bowl. Voila- instant blueberry sauce. 

Making the Blintzes
*Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees
1. Make crepes from your crepe batter. I use a non-stick pan and just spray on a bit of canola oil spray. I merely add a bit of batter and start swirling it around until I have the whole pan covered. Don't worry, the first one never works out. And I don't flip the crepe onto the other side. I just wait til it's cooked through and remove from the pan.

2. Add your filling to your crepes & fold like a burrito. Spray an oven proof casserole dish with some canola oil so blintzes won't stick. 

3. Bake blintzes for 10 minutes in the oven @ 350 degrees.

4. Remove from oven, and serve immediately with blueberry sauce on top.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment