Sunday, June 26, 2011

Coffee Cupcakes!!


Last night I stayed up late to make some coffee cupcakes for my sister. See, my sister graduated college a couple of weeks ago and we were to celebrate with homemade coffee cupcakes. (She is a coffee-holic.)But I was sick the whole week & weekend of her graduation and I never made them. But hey, at least she got some tiramasu from CPK that day. 

Anyhow, I was back at in my parent's hood and this time, toting the coffee cupcakes I made last night.  And when I mean coffee cupcakes, I mean coffee cake and coffee butter cream frosting. It's a caffeine fiend's dream come true.

I searched the Internet high and low for a good coffee cake recipe. This was no easy feat considering a google search of "coffee cake" generally leads you to... well.... coffee cake. You know, the kind you may eat for breakfast with the cinnamon strussel-y stuff on top? I needed coffee flavored cake. It took a while, but I found one via Gastronomy's blog which came via The Pioneer Woman's blog.  (Thanks Google.) Gastronomy's cake looked nice and I thought I would give a shot. The flour to sugar ratio scared me a bit with equal amounts sugar to flour, this cake could do health damage. But it looked pretty good and where else was I going to find a coffee flavored cake recipe??

I made my cake into cupcakes & then a small heart cake with the leftover batter. The result is a heavily coffee flavored cake that surprisingly doesn't taste too sweet despite all that sugar. I'll leave that up to you to decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

If you like coffee and cupcakes, you will like this recipe. Heck, even if you don't like coffee you will like this recipe.

Check out the recipe here.

The only small change I made was adding 1 tsp vanilla to the coffee butter cream frosting. Oh, and I used cake flour instead of all purpose flour. I think all-purpose flour would have worked better, but I was still satisfied with the result.

Mini-tangent: I made the frosting last night around midnight and was about to frost the cupcakes. I opened up a cabinet that was right below the frosting and what would you know... a stupid ugly bug of some sort fell from the cabinet and straight into the frosting!! Rest assured, I tossed it and started over this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! I cannot imagine how much that irritated you in the middle of the night after all that work... glad it all turned out ok - the cupcakes and the frosting look fabulous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! it was such an ugly looking bug too! glad i bought extra butter though & it all worked out in the end! :)

    ReplyDelete