Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quick and Dirty Coconut Cream Pie

I've got to learn to take better pictures
I'm on a roll... 3 blog posts in one week... in one month in fact... crazy! This will be quick and dirty, just like my semi-recipe for coconut cream pie. In fact, you could argue and say it's not really a recipe and I'd probably agree. Jello pudding mix and graham crackers... who am I trying to fool? Well, what it lacks as a so called recipe, it makes up in easiness and creativity. Yes, creativity! I cleaned out our pantry on Sunday and what did I find?
Jello Coconut pudding mix, graham crackers and some coconut. It was all very random.

So Sunday night rolled around and I didn't make it to the grocery store, but wanted dessert after dinner.  I had been sick all weekend and home all Sunday and wanted dessert, but didn't want to leave the house and didn't really want to make anything either. That's when the light bulb went off... I could make my own coconut cream pie. And so I did.

This recipe isn't going to WOW you, but it's a really simple recipe if you want a nice simple dessert. And I'll be honest, I didn't add a whole lot of butter to my graham cracker crust and it didn't stick so well, but I wanted to keep it on the 'healthier' side of dessert. So if you want a rich crust, add 2 more TBSP of butter.

Quick and Dirty "Recipe" for Coconut Cream Pie
- 5 graham cracker rectangles
- Handful of shredded coconut
- 1 small box of Jello Coconut Pudding mix
- 1 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Canola oil spray

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Crush graham crackers into fine crumbs
3. Pour melted butter onto graham cracker crumbs & stir until combined
4. Generously spray a small baking pan with canola oil spray & add graham cracker crumbs
5. Press graham cracker crumbs into pan to make a crust & again spray with some canola oil spray
6. Toss graham cracker crust into oven and bake for 5-8 minutes, or until golden brown
7. Toss in shredded coconut onto baking sheet and bake for 5-8 minutes or until coconut starts to brown
8. Remove graham cracker crust and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes
9. Follow the directions from the back of the Jello pudding box and mix 1 3/4 cup milk & mix for 2 minutes.
10. Pour pudding mix onto graham cracker crust & toss shredded coconut on top
11. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment